Friday, June 27, 2008

Homeschool graduations

I have found a new favorite scripture. Micah 6:8 says "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (NIV). I also like the translation from The Message: "But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously—take God seriously."

Tonight I went to my first ever homeschool graduation ceremony and I saw my favorite scripture being played out first hand. Here stood four young adults who have acted justly, loved mercy and have walked humbly with their God for their entire lives. The little girl that used to babysit our children is now all grown up and headed to college. The young man that my son looks up to in martial arts class is now becoming the man his parents always dreamed he would be. I can't wait to see how God is going to use them in the future.

As I watched the ceremony I couldn't help but think what my childrens future will be like. In only 9 short years my "little baby" will be going out on his own. Will I have taught him all he needs to know about Math, English, Science, the Lord? Will he understand the intricate details of interviewing for a job? Will he know that sex is to be saved for marriage (he better - we've been going through "God's Design For Sex" series!!!)? What more do I need to teach him so he can go out on his own into this big, sometimes scary world? ...

...then God reminded me that I am here to teach my son HIS ways and that God will do all the rest.

No comments: