Friday, April 15, 2011

Anyone want some clothes?

That's right - I'm giving away my clothes already! I can't believe what is going on with the jeans I'm wearing today. Just two weeks ago these jeans were TIGHT (we're talking serious tightness - the kind where you only wear them in public then you come home and put on your "comfortable" pants). But today I'm pulling and tugging at them to keep them up on my hips!

This diet was easier this week than last. I find I'm not as much of a veggie-hater as I once proclaimed! I'm struggling a bit in my workouts - particularly my runs - because I don't have the energy I'm used to having from the carbs in my system. But, my doctor says it's a temporary feeling and it should get better soon. I'm just getting back into my longer-distance bike & swim workouts from a very lazy winter so I'll have to pay close attention to how I feel on those workouts in the upcoming weeks.

I have to admit - I cheated this week. For some crazy reason I decided it was okay to have cashews. Then, after the third day of eating them (only 6 each time) I realized they have a pretty high carb content so I stopped. I also "accidentally" cheated, too! I was so excited to purchase beets for the first time in my adult life that I didn't stop to see if beets were acceptable on this diet. I had gone to all the trouble to ask my Facebook friends for yummy recipes and everything. I spent a long time determining how to cook them and made them into a great roasted treat. As I was eating the first few slices I thought to myself "hmmm...these are pretty sweet for this diet." I then went to my "restricted veggies" list and right there in front of my eyes - between the avocado and carrots were...beets. I was bummed about it but I have a new-found love for beets and can't wait to get to the "maintenance" stage of this diet to begin eating, and enjoying beets.

So, how much further do I have to go to the "maintenance" stage? Well, I started out needing to lose 39 lbs. The first week I lost 8.5 lbs and this week I lost 4 lbs. So, I've lost a total of 12.5 lbs. Maintenance begins when I'm 90% of the way to my goal weigh so, about 4 lbs from my goal is when I'll begin. That means I need to lose another 22.5 lbs.

Every time I go in for my appointment there are several aspects to it - weighing in, measurements, percent body fat analysis, lean body mass, and a few other measurements.

To date I have lost the following:
1% of my total body fat
3.5 inches from my waist
1.5 inches from my hips
1 inch from my arm
1.5 inches from my thigh
No significant lean body mass loss


So, today I am going through my closet and saying goodbye to some of my clothes. I hope to never be back at this weight again for the rest of my life. I'm thrilled at my progress and can't wait to reach my goal. One thing my doctor said to me early on in my journey is to consider this like another aspect of my training and that's what I'm going to continue to do. 

As my friend Stacie would say - Onward and Upward...

No comments: